Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Storage Shed/ Sandbox



This past weekend we built a sandbox for Taylor and Will. It was actually very simple, and this is how we did it in the event you are interested for your kids. I bought an eight foot 4x4 and cut it to 2 foot lengths for the legs. I also purchased 2x10's and cut them to size to make a 5 foot by 6 foot box. The boards were attached with galvanized screws to the legs and then we dug holes for the post and made sure that it was square and level. After this, I covered the bottom in a landscaper's material to keep out weeds while still allowing the water to drain from the box before putting in the sand. I did not use treated lumber as I did not feel it would be a good idea for the kids. The 4x4's are treated but most of them are in the ground. I do plan on staining and sealing the wood so that it matches the playground, and hopefully this will help it last longer.



As you might be able to see, Taylor was very excited about the completion of the sandbox. She has spent numerous hours outside building sand castles, making sand soup (imaginary of course) and just plain looking for rocks. She loves to find rocks!

As for the shed, it was a whole other story. It took most of one day to build the deck and make sure it was perfectly square and level. I did decide to pier it up on blocks in order to get it up off the ground. I used all pressure treated lumber anyway, so it should last forever. Once we started the assembly of the shed it was extremely windy and that caused some challenges. The building itself is a 10X8 and will hopefully provide us with some extra room so that we can clean out the garage. Carey has been wanting me to do this for a while and what a good idea it was. I am glad that it is over though. I do still need to finish the ramp, and then its back to the bathroom!

This is my first blog. I got the idea from one of my soccer kids mothers. Her name is Shelby. She has a wonderful family, and I really enjoyed coaching her daughter. I thought that since so many of our loved ones live in different places, this might be a good idea to keep in touch. We shall see. My only hope is that I will be able to keep up with it.

Taylor is doing great, and she will be starting soccer again in February. She is so excited! She did so good in her first team sport. She scored many goals and we of course are so proud.

Will is still growing like a weed. He enjoys playing with Taylor, and dancing around to music. He has mastered walking by now, but still occasionally loses his balance. They love each other so much that often times he will just stop what he is doing just to go give sister a hug.

We look forward to sharing our life with you in this blog. Please give us your feedback as to what you think, and if it is something that you would like to go to from time to time to check on the Thompson's.

0 Soldier's saluted this post: