Sunday, July 27, 2008

Nike Meltdown

Today was a hot one. 100 degrees. Wanna know how hot that really is, then read on.

I got up on the roof today to install a power vent into the roof for better ventilation in the attic. I had already done one before so I new what was involved. It is a very tedious job as our roof is at a VERY steep pitch, and of course there is always the scary fact of knowing your cutting a freaking hole in your roof. Yeah, if that's not enough to make you nervous there's always the prospect of knowing you could fall off.

However, today there was another factor that seriously made this job more difficult. It was 100 degrees! I cant remember how many times I slipped and almost fell before I realized my shoes were melting right off my feet! I thought I was loosing my footing on the roof (which I was at times I'm sure) but it was actually my soles sliding right out from under my shoes. I knew the roof was hot as just sitting on it was burning my rear. I won't put those red pictures on the blog, sorry. However, you can see in the pics below the one shoe that didn't totally loose its entire sole how the heat melted it as it started to slide off and then rejoined the shoe in another place after I got down. Only the top of the sole was left as the bottom portion did come totally off just as the other shoe did. Black asphalt shingles get really hot. I knew they did, I just didn't know they would get that hot.

So a few burns and a good pair of work shoes later, the power vent is up! Let's hope it doesn't decide to slide off like my shoes did.



2 Soldier's saluted this post:

glam R baby said...

Thats freaking crazy!! Guess you need some new shoes now! LOL

Tim said...

New shoes and by the looks of my legs, some new pants!