Thursday, July 24, 2008

Summer Blues

Today we scheduled a company to come out to our house on Sunday and spray a radiant barrier paint in our attic on the roof decking and also add about 5-6 inches of insulation to give us a total of R49 in our attic. Our electric bills have been through the roof especially during the summer as our air conditioner has for sure been working overtime. We looked at getting a bigger ac unit but that was going to cost more than we wanted to spend, so we are hoping that this will give our ac unit the help that it needs. We are also looking into adding solar screens to our windows, and have already added a power vent (motorized fan mounted on the roof) to help with the ventilation.

The only down side to all of this is that we are going to have to spend our weekend taking all of the stuff down from the attic that is in storage so it doesn't get painted. If you only knew how much stuff is up there then you would know that we have allot work to do. Maybe we should just hire movers? Who knows. The guy did say that they are looking into getting a moving company to partner up with them to do that, but as of right now they don't have it. So for now I'm sure we are just going to hire Thompson's Moving Company. That will not be fun in the summer. It's like 180 degrees in our attic. I'm sure we will be doing it in the early morning and late evening.

Wish us luck. Hopefully we won't dehydrate.

2 Soldier's saluted this post:

NotinKSAnymore said...

I hope you guys aren't melting up there! I think this is probably the worst weekend we've had yet for heat...great timing!

Tim said...

We got through it ok, but now Sunday I have to get up on the roof and install a power vent. You know cut a hole in the roof, install it so it doesnt leak, wire it up, all of that. So pray for me that I dont:

1. Get heatstroke
2. Cut my finger off with the saw
3. Hammer my fingers
4. Get a splinter
5. There's always dehydration
6. Electricute myself
7. Fall off the ladder
8. Fall off our very steep roof


I'm just gonna stop right there because I could go on, but I'm starting to scare myself. What have I gotten myself into? Am I gonna die tomorrow? Let's hope not. It sure would hurt hitting the ground that hard. Pray for me.