Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Different Time and a Different Place

Today as I'm sitting in the car line at the school to pick up Taylor my mind goes to racing. Racing back to a different time and a different place. It was those special years for me as a young boy in which I attended my first days at school.

It was a time and place where as a kid you could ride your bike or walk to school at pretty much any age without your parents going with you.

These days you dare not let your kids go anywhere by themselves for that matter.

It was a time and place where you could leave your doors unlocked and not lose a minutes sleep over it.

These days you can't even walk away from your door without locking it and still you double check it.

It was a time and place where security systems in homes had no value.

These days you get a discount off of your home owner's insurance for having one.

It was a time and place where a school was really a school with windows and all.

These days a school is like a prison, no windows and police officer's guarding the entrance's and exit's.

It was a time and place where the big news at school was when the next program was (kids singing for those who don't know).

These days the big news at school is how many kids were killed in the last shooting.

I could go on, but I choose not to depress you further.

So as I sit waiting in my car, I immediately say a prayer for my sweet Taylor and all the other kids who must now live their lives in these days. God, please be with them. Protect their innocence, keep them safe, and always always bring them home. All these things I pray in your name. Amen.

If you read this, please say a prayer for all our kids for they do live in a different time and a different place.

0 Soldier's saluted this post: