Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Run Carey Run!

This past weekend Carey traveled to Austin Texas and ran in a Half Marathon with her sister Lindsay. This was her first marathon to run in and I had to post about it especially as to how well she did. You know the proud hubby post.

I think she picked this race to run in because it featured "a fabulous post race-party with mini spa treatments, catered brunch, and shopping." Notice the spa treatments and shopping part? Nothing better than an after race massage eh??

Out of over 1000 contestants she placed 45th overall, 38th among females, and 6th among her age group. Oops I almost put her age group! Yikes, that would have been a no no for sure. :) Her time was 1:50:49 with a split of 58:57.

Most importantly is that she did VERY well for her first race in a strange place on a VERY difficult course with tons of steep hills.

In her own words:

The hills on this course were like no other. I physically felt ill when I got to the top of the worst one. I ran a mile or two with a stray dog and a cow in a pasture ran along side of me for a little bit. Lindsay and I got to high five each other about 7 to 8 miles into the race as we passed going opposite ways. The soles of my feet felt like they were going to burn a hole in the bottom of my shoes. We got complimentary massages, water, Gatorade, fruit, protein bars and more after the race. Lindsay and I walked funny all day on Saturday and Sunday because our legs and feet hurt.

I enjoyed it very much and will continue to train for the next one. I am hooked!


So there you have it! Yaaaaaay Mommy, you did so well and we are so proud of you!

Please leave Carey some comment love giving her support. Maybe it will get her to post here more often. :) It is always greatly appreciated!

Love and Prayers,

18 Soldier's saluted this post:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Excellent time!

Beth in NC said...

WTG Carey! But WHERE are the pictures?!?!?!?

Tim said...

We have not been able to procure the pics yet. As soon as they are sent to me I will post them.

Love and Prayers,

Tim

Beth E. said...

Really, Tim...no pics? No videos? You're slipping, brother!

Congratulations, Carey! A half marathon...wow! I admire you and your dedication.

I think the last time I ran anywhere was from the car to the bathroom. Shew, I had to negotiate some sharp turns and basement steps...however, I placed first in MY age bracket! ;-)

Seriously, you did a great job and we're all proud of you!

Jo said...

Wish I had the courage to train and complete an event like that!!

Bridget said...

Wow, that's and excellent time! Way to go!!!

Tim said...

For whatever reason I am not able to moderate comments so I will self moderate copy and paste style!

Sorry about that, hopefully blogger fixes it soon.

Love and Prayers,

Tim

Tim said...

Bridget has left a new comment on your post "Run Carey Run!":

Wow, that's and excellent time! Way to go!!!

Bridget

Tim said...

Jo has left a new comment on your post "Run Carey Run!":

Wish I had the courage to train and complete an event like that!!

Jo

Wendyburd1 said...

You are so lucky you didn't reveal her age! LOL! I wish I could get addicted to something HEALTHY!!

Hey I tagged you in a photo meme!

Nikki B. said...

NICE WORK!!!! and in austin...my fave place on earth! we just missed her by a week!!

congrats, carey!!

Anonymous said...

That is just great! What an accomplishment! :)

Dot O said...

Carey, you should be so proud! I wish I had the get-up-and-go to do something like that, but it got up and went a long time ago...and left me with bad knees.

That is just so wonderful!! Congrats, Tim, on supporting her.

April said...

Carey...you did AWESOME!!! I can't believe you ran under 2 hours for it to be your first half-marathon! Way to tear up that blacktop! Just goes to show that you can do ANYTHING you put your mind to! Please share some pictures with us!

Sam said...

Thanks so much for the comment! I like meeting new people so much! My husband and I were going to run our first race (for autism) this month, but I got shin splints,and my chiropractor told me I have a problem with my legs that will probably keep me from running....

Kifus said...

Congratulations to Carey! What an accomplishment! I still have issues to solve with (walking on) the treadmill let alone running in a Marathon! Kudos to her and also to your beautiful family.

How sweet of Taylor to donate her lock of hair. It's really moving to see a child doing these acts of love.

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your comment!

Hope you and your family have a happy Easter!

Holly said...

That is so awesome! Way to go Carey! You did a great job! I'm not sure I could run a half marathon!

Jenn... Dan and the Clan said...

I have a blog award for you! You can find it here! Your Blog award