Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Oldies... but Goodies!

Fort Thompson


Want to play along with Oldies... but Goodies? Its simple, here's how:

1. Post the Oldies but Goodies button to your post.

2. Copy an old post that you would like to share again.

3. Paste it into the new post and link up.

4. Then click "this to get the code", and copy the code in the orange box. Then paste this code into the bottom of your post. That's it! Then you can link up right there on your own blog. That's it! Too easy
!


This is a super fun carnival and it so easy to do. It gives us the chance to read new things on your blog that we might have missed, or just never saw because we didn't follow your blog at the time.

So lets catch up! Join in the fun with Oldies... but Goodies!




So with school starting yesterday, I decided to bring you a post from last year as Taylor started her first day of school in Kindergarten. I hope you enjoy it as it is exactly a year old!



I bequeath to you today one little girl in a crispy red dress with two blue eyes and a happy laugh that ripples all day long and beautiful blonde hair that bounces in the sunlight when she runs. I trust you'll treat her well.

She's slipping out of the backyard of my heart this morning and skipping off down the street to her first day of school. Never again will she be completely mine. Prim and proper, she'll wave a young independent hand this morning and say "goodbye", and walk with little lady steps to the schoolhouse.



Now, she'll learn to stand in lines and wait by the alphabet for her name to be called. She'll learn to tune her ears for sounds of school bells and deadlines, and she'll learn to giggle, and gossip, and look at the ceiling in a disinterested way, and she'll learn to be jealous. Now she'll learn how not to cry. No longer will she have time to sit on the front porch on a hot summer day and watch an ant scurry across a crack in the sidewalk. Nor will she have time to pop out of bed with the dawn to kiss lilac blossoms in the morning dew.

No...now she'll worry about important things like grades and which dress to wear and whose best friend is whose. She'll forget her blocks and dolls, and now she'll find new heroes. For five full years now, I've been her sage and Santa Claus, pal and playmate, Father and friend.

Now she'll learn to share her worship with her teachers, which is only right. But, no longer will I be the smartest, greatest man in the whole world. Today, when that school bell rings for the first time, she'll learn what it means to be a member of the group, with all its privileges and its disadvantages, too.

She'll learn in time that proper ladies do not laugh out loud or kiss dogs or keep frogs in pickle jars in bedrooms, or even watch ants scurry across cracks in the summer sidewalk. Today, she'll learn for the first time that all who smile at her are not her friends, and I'll stand on the front porch and watch her start out on the long lonely journey to becoming a woman.

So world, I bequeath to you today, one little girl in a crispy red dress with two blue eyes and a happy laugh that ripples all day long, and beautiful blonde hair that bounces in the sunlight when she runs. I trust you will treat her well.









Love and Prayers,




MckLinky Blog Hop

21 Soldier's saluted this post:

Beth in NC said...

Sheesh! That made me cry!!!! Between you and April, I want to lock my daughter away and keep her here forever. Waaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Family American Style. said...

What an adorable post. This is a friendly reminder about tomorrow, it’s “What would your children say?” Wednesday. It would be wonderful to hear the silly and funny things your children say and do. I hope you will participate in the linky party.

Jenny said...

LOVE the maryjanes! What a doll she is!!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Tim! This was a really sweet post! You are a wonderful writer and I really like how you did this.

Sweet Taylor, is all smiles!

Blessings & aloha!

(I think I finally am caught up :o) I actually did a "brave-for-me" or "crazy-what-was-I-thinking" blog first! I did an automatic post...for my Wed Beach Party post. I think it worked...we'll see if it actually shows up!) If you get a chance, I hope that you can come by and leave a comment...let me know if any of the Hawaiian beaches are familiar.)

April said...

OK...I have a really big lump in my throat right now, thanks to you! That was such a sweet post, my friend! Can our kids just stop growing up, already? Hey, aren't you proud of me...I'm participating in Oldies, but Goodies today, too! Yay, me!:)

He & Me + 3 said...

I hope she has a great day. Our kids start in exactly 2 weeks. Wow has this summer flown by.

Heatherlyn said...

That moment when they get on the school bus for the first time is so exciting. It's a little sad for us as parents, but I also feel so happy for my kids to be able to have these experiences, these rights of passage.

Unknown said...

First, you put her on the bus to school on her first day of kindergarten??

I am crying at your post. Yesterday was the first day of school here for all of my children. Piglet and Buzz started kindergarten. They are in the same classes together all day long.
I went with each child to their class, and took pictures. I will post them later :)

Beth E. said...

Okay...pass the Kleenex! I'm boohoo-ing all over my computer. What a sweet post, Tim. The pictures are just precious!

Lee said...

How sweet!
I bet she's excited about going back to school! I used to love school when I was younger.

Bridget said...

What a great post!! Loved it!

Wendyburd1 said...

I just adore her dimples!

Holly said...

Aw, look at her cute plaid skirt! All dressed up for the big day!

~Brenda said...

Oh my gosh, what a tear jerker!

I just gave you an award on my blog. Come pick 'er up and pass it along, if you wish!

~Brenda

Robynn's Ravings said...

Really? Proper ladied don't laugh out loud? Tim, I told you I didn't think I'd be able to do the Vlog Emotions. Now I know I'm disqualified for SURE! I can't do much of ANYthing without laughing out loud. How do you laugh without making any sound? :)

wife.mom.nurse said...

Aw, she is so gorgeous. What an exciting time...captured beautifully!~

Bz said...

Just stopped by and read this post and about burst into tears.... your words are SO correct. My husband's and my daughter is 3 years old and I do not look completely forward to all that will be ?? lost ?? as she enters the world without me right there next to her.

Erin said...

What a cutie! I love the picture of her on the bus. Very sweet.

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet! She is such a cutie! I hope she had a great first day!

Pam said...

that was beautiful!! sweet, and sure beats what i was thinking on jadon's first day of kindergarten!! HERE YOU TAKE HIM FOR AWHILE!! :) just kidding of course!! sorta!! :)

Mocha Momma said...

That was so sweet! She's a cutie. I hope she has a great year in school this year.
Take care,
Nannette at Life: be-in-it